May is such a busy month in our house. Andres and I both have birthdays, some family members have birthdays and we are trying to get out and about with the nice weather. In addition to all of this, someone thought it was a good idea to give an 8-month pregnant woman poison ivy… on her face, chest, neck, shoulders, arms and legs. As if having it while pregnant with Isabella didn’t test my sanity enough, it came back for round dos. Point is, sorry for being MIA! Hopefully this recipe will be delicious enough that I will be forgiven 😉
Anyways, enough of my itchy sop story. For a family barbecue we were hosting this memorial day weekend I decided to make some citrus yellow cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. These babies were delicious! Plus, I made them into mini cupcakes (wonderful idea from my mama) so you could just pop these bad boys into your mouth and not feel guilty about it. Well, that is until you’re about 5 cupcakes in….
If anyone is looking for a fun, lemony dessert recipe to make, check this out below!
You will need (for the cake batter):
¤ ¾ cup of butter
¤ 3 eggs
¤ 2½ cups of all-purpose flour
¤ 2½ teaspoons of baking powder
¤ ½ teaspoon of salt
¤ 1¾ cups of sugar
¤ 1½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
¤ 1¼ cups milk
¤ 2 lemons (you will get the lemon zest from the rinds)
You will need (for the cream cheese frosting):
¤ One 8-ounce package of cream cheese
¤ ½ cup of butter
¤ 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
¤ 5½ to 6 cups of powdered sugar
¤ Some leftover lemon zest from your batter
Directions for Batter
- You want to let the eggs and butter stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes. While those are reaching room temp, grease up your cupcake pan/cake pan with butter or Pam. Then, measure out your flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
- Next up, preheat your oven to 375ºF. In a large mixing bowl (electric mixer) you want to beat the butter on medium to high speed for about 30 secs. You will gradually add sugar a little at a time. Make sure there is nothing left on the sides of the bowl – get that all mixed in nice and well. Then beat that mixture for an extra couple of minutes and add eggs one at a time. Make sure they’re all mixed well before adding in the vanilla extract.
- Take the flour/salt/baking powder mixture from the bowl you set aside and add that in beating on low speed. Then add in milk as well until everything is combined. At the end add in about 2 teaspoons of lemon zest that you got from those lemon rinds. Make sure it is evenly spread into the batter.
- Spread the batter into your cupcake/cake pans and you want to let those bake for about 20-30 minutes (but I recommend keeping an eye on them and checking with a toothpick to make sure they’re ready. Just poke a toothpick into the center and if it comes out clean then you know you’re little delights are ready).
- Let them cool!!
Directions for Lemony Cream Cheese Frosting:
- While preparing the batter for your treats, let your cream cheese and butter for the frosting also stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. You want to start the frosting while you’re cupcakes are cooling down.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract with an electric mixer (not your fists) on medium speed until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- At this point, you want to add in the powdered sugar at a gradual pace until the frosting is a consistency that is good for spreading.
- Add in the leftover lemon zest around this time as well. Around 1-2 teaspoons.
- Then, you can frost those bad boys that just came out of the oven and let them cool in the fridge!
- Oh, yea make sure you enjoy the h311 out them too!!